Database Administrator - Chicago, IL
This is a position for World Bicycle Relief (www.worldbicyclerelief.org)
World Bicycle Relief mobilizes people through the Power of Bicycles. We envision a world where distance is no longer a barrier to education, healthcare and economic opportunity. Our robust Buffalo Bicycles are a cost-effective and reliable means of overcoming the challenges posed by long distances in the developing world.
We are a global not-for-profit that manages a highly refined bicycle supply chain from design through final distribution. We also work collaboratively with other non-profits—our field partners—to design, implement, and test large-scale bicycle programs. Funding for these activities comes from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
We have an innovative corporate structure with a wholly owned for-profit subsidiary that sells our Buffalo Bicycles to individuals and other non-profits. This structure enables us to diversify our funding and magnify the impact of donations; reduces unit costs through greater scale; sharpens our focus on the end-users’ needs; and works in harmony rather than in conflict with local economies.
World Bicycle Relief is a registered NFP in the USA, Canada, UK, Germany and Australia. We support programs in over 15 developing countries, and have assembly facilities in Angola, Kenya, Malawi, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
About the Position
The Database Administrator will be responsible for the architecture, maintenance and strategy surrounding WBR’s data and systems globally. S/he will be technology savvy and be accustomed to using technology as a solution to business challenges.
The ideal candidate will be able to function effectively with limited oversight and moderate on-site training. S/he should understand the importance of database integrity in terms of both efficiency and security.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about helping a cause of the non-profit mission.
- Act as the chief steward of WBR’s data keeping with highest industry standards
- Design and build database management system / develop seamless integrations from various systems, file types, platforms, etc. / analyze and recommend database improvements / configure database software /
- Ensure security of WBR’s data
- Establish and maintain database reliability and efficiency
- Streamline data acquisition - websites, merchant banks, manual process, etc.
- Proactively tune database in production
- Guarantee database setup meets industry requirements in all global markets
- Establish a disaster recovery protocol
- Create database management procedures
- Create accounts for all users and assign security levels
- Continually review processes for improvement
- Create reports based on information in the database for the various stakeholders
- Lead technology initiatives at a strategy level to help a non-profit organization achieve success in their mission
- Provide end-to-end technical support and problem resolution
- Manage a small technology team
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- 5-7 years of relevant experience
- Advanced knowledge of database structure and theory
- Understanding of disaster recovery and database backup procedures
- Familiarity with reporting tools
- Thorough knowledge of SQL
- Solid understanding of RESTful API and JSON
- Non-profit experience is preferred
- Programming experience is preferred
- Experience with Salesforce is a plus
SRAM, LLC is one of the world's largest suppliers of components to the bike industry. Established in Chicago in 1987, SRAM continues to promote cycling through its products, its advocacy, and its employees who are dedicated to improving the cycling experience. Today, SRAM employs more than 3,800+ employees, 15+ locations and 15+ countries. SRAM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.