WBR Director of Philanthropy - New York, NY
About World Bicycle Relief (WBR)
World Bicycle Relief mobilizes people through the Power of Bicycles. We envision a world where distance is no longer a barrier to education, healthcare and economic opportunity. Our robust Buffalo Bicycles are a cost-effective and reliable means of overcoming the challenges posed by long distances in the developing world.
We are a global not-for-profit that manages a highly refined bicycle supply chain from design through final distribution. We also work collaboratively with other non-profits—our field partners—to design, implement, and test large-scale bicycle programs. Funding for these activities comes from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
We have an innovative corporate structure with a wholly owned for-profit subsidiary that sells our Buffalo Bicycles to individuals and other non-profits. This structure enables us to diversify our funding and magnify the impact of donations; reduces unit costs through greater scale; sharpens our focus on the end-users’ needs; and works in harmony rather than in conflict with local economies.
World Bicycle Relief is a registered NFP in the USA, Canada, UK, Germany and Australia. We support programs in over 15 developing countries, and have assembly facilities in Angola, Kenya, Malawi, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
About the Position
As Director of Philanthropy for the East Coast, you will be responsible for stewarding existing supporters and building key relationships to build a portfolio of engaged, inspired donors primarily in the NY area, but also in other key markets on the East Coast (including Boston and DC). You will be a key member of our global fundraising team, contributing to our long-term growth strategy. You will bring passion, innovation and creative thinking to your role as a relationship manager and fundraiser.
- Work closely with the Executive Director of Philanthropy (based in Chicago) and other key staff to develop a major giving strategy that contributes to our global fundraising goals.
- Build relationships with a robust portfolio of new major gift donors and engage existing donors to raise funds for our bicycle programs.
- Create opportunities, activities and events to attract new donors, cultivate current donors and build the WBR brand in the NY Metropolitan Area.
- Develop innovative partnerships with corporations, foundations, affinity groups and other organizations that connect us to new major donors and drive revenue.
- Become an expert on WBR programs and share the impact of our work with donors in authentic and compelling ways.
- Rely on metrics and donor data to track performance, giving trends, identify new opportunities for revenue and drive efficiencies.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 5 years of fundraising experience, preferably with major donors.
- Proven track record for closing gifts and reaching revenue targets.
- Outstanding communication and relationship building skills geared toward sophisticated donor audiences.
- Insights and expertise on the philanthropic landscape in NYC/NY Metro Area.
- Knowledge of international development issues, particularly in Africa.
- Solid experience and disciplined approach to donor databases, preferably Salesforce.
Qualities we are seeking in a candidate:
- A passion for our mission and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills.
- Initiative, strategic thinking and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Superior relationship-building skills and an impeccable customer service track record.
- Outstanding communication skills across a variety of audiences and channels.
- A positive attitude and commitment to continuous learning and improvement.
You should know:
- This is a remote position with many opportunities to connect to the global team via technology and in-person.
- This position will require evening and weekend hours.
- This position will require some domestic and international travel.
- World Bicycle Relief is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Position requires ability to lift up to 50lbs.
- Position requires a valid driver’s license.
- In addition to competitive pay and benefits, WBR is committed to providing you opportunities for professional development, mission-oriented work, team culture and career growth.
- The World Bicycle Relief team is hard-working, fun, creative and collaborative – we are excited to work with you!
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter (both required).
SRAM, LLC is one of the world's largest suppliers of components to the bike industry. Established in Chicago in 1987, SRAM continues to promote cycling through its products, its advocacy, and its employees who are dedicated to improving the cycling experience. Today, SRAM employs more than 3,600+ employees, 15+ locations and 15+ countries. SRAM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.