World Bicycle Relief Events Manager - Chicago, IL
World Bicycle Relief mobilizes people through the Power of Bicycles. We envision a world where distance is no longer a barrier to education, healthcare and economic opportunity. Our robust Buffalo Bicycles are a cost-effective and reliable means of overcoming the challenges posed by long distances in the developing world.
We are a global not-for-profit that manages a highly refined bicycle supply chain from design through final distribution. We also work collaboratively with other non-profits—our field partners—to design, implement, and test large-scale bicycle programs. Funding for these activities comes from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
We have an innovative corporate structure with a wholly owned for-profit subsidiary that sells our Buffalo Bicycles to individuals and other non-profits. This structure enables us to diversify our funding and magnify the impact of donations; reduces unit costs through greater scale; sharpens our focus on the end-users’ needs; and works in harmony rather than in conflict with local economies.
World Bicycle Relief is a registered NFP in the USA, Canada, UK, Germany and Australia. We support programs in over 15 developing countries, and have assembly facilities in Angola, Kenya, Malawi, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
About the Position
The Events Manager is an integral part of the US Fundraising and Marketing team and will be responsible for producing events in line with World Bicycles Relief’s objectives and brand. As the Events Manager, your overarching goal is to attract new supporters and inspire existing donors to deepen their connection with World Bicycle Relief resulting in increased awareness and funding for WBR programs.
Event Planning and Production Management:
- Manage the annual event portfolio including event strategic objectives, budgets, timelines, programs, task lists, event ROI and post-mortems for WBR hosted and select 3rd party/partner events
- Lead all event planning and productionbike4030 meetings and discussions.
- Organize and lead collaboration with the Marketing team on event concept, event marketing, and event tools
- Organize and manage the invitation, registration and attendee check-in processes
- Negotiate costs and services with vendors; book event space, arrange food and beverage, order all supplies/decorations, coordinate audiovisual equipment & operation, make travel arrangements
- Coordinate the logistics for shipping supplies and staff travel to the event location
- Secure volunteers; manage the staff and volunteers working at the event
- Secure guest speakers and entertainment
- Manage on-site production for events as necessary
Event Promotion and Revenue Generation:
- Determine effective “go to market” promotion strategies and tactics by event and collaborate with marketing and fund development to drive event registration
- Manage Pro Athlete(s) engagement related to events and campaigns
- Create event sponsorship packages and coordinate the solicitation and securing of sponsorships
- Collaborate with fund development leaders by providing data for developing long-term strategies as it relates to event procurement and cultivation
- Experience working with event fundraising platforms/software
- Responsible for developing and strengthening long-term relationships with partners and event attendees on behalf of WBR.
- B.A. Degree
- 5-7 years prior experience coordinating high impact events
- Proven track record of generating revenue from events
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Superior time management skills, multi-tasking abilities, team playing skills
- Budget management and negotiation skills
- Ability to accomplish projects independently
- Fantastic customer service ethic and high expectations for quality
- A willingness to travel up to 25% or more, including international travel, and evening and weekend hours
- Computer skills: MS Office Suite, multimedia presentations, database reporting
- CMP (Certified Meeting Planner) industry and/or non-profit human services
- Knowledge of the cycling industry a plus
Please incldue a resume and cover letter (both required) with your application.
SRAM, LLC is one of the world's largest suppliers of components to the bike industry. Established in Chicago in 1987, SRAM continues to promote cycling through its products, its advocacy, and its employees who are dedicated to improving the cycling experience. Today, SRAM employs more than 3,800+ employees, 15+ locations and 15+ countries. SRAM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.