Senior Design System Designer - Contract Role
Chicago, Illinois, Remote
Are you passionate about Design Systems and keen to put in place a sustainable design system for a leading brand? We’re currently looking for a Senior Design Systems Designer with experience in defining and evolving design systems, components, patterns to drive a best-in-class design system, digital style guide, and component repository using Figma. This role requires both strong design and organizational skills to hit the ground running. You will be providing consultative guidance as well as hands-on building of content to help our internal team execute on our design system vision. You will be teaching and training our internal team on best practices and helping elevate team skillsets from novice to expert level. You will also help the team build a collaborative, yet governed processes enabled by the latest technologies and tools. If you love taking on projects from the ground up while positively affecting how people design and work together… this is the role for you.
- You will be responsible for leading our designers to design the UI and interaction of components and patterns for all web and mobile properties. You set the bar for UI perfection and consistency.
- Create a unified, cohesive set of UX and visual guidelines for all branded properties.
- Working as a Lead Design Systems Designer you must have strong interaction design, technical, communication, collaboration, and leadership skills.
- Define components holistically from interaction flow, motion/transitions, accessibility compliance and visual design.
- Author thorough usage guidelines that connect and resonate with the teams using our design systems.
- Establish design governance procedures and control of shared assets.
- Develop a design-to-code processes that can be automated.
- Be a design ambassador for the product teams.
- Articulate design decisions to product design, engineering and product.
- Advocate for our end users and evangelize your findings to senior executives, stakeholders, and team members.
- Develop and implement a Design System contribution model to streamline the process of multiple autonomous teams building components for one-off use cases, moving to systematized items. Quickly iterate and communicate concepts at appropriate levels of fidelity, while managing and providing constructive critique.
- Help to maintain and improve cross-functional collaboration, relationships, and processes around Design Systems.
- Measure, improve, and align Design System impact metrics with company objectives and help communicate the value of the Design System on the business.
- Identify and design reusable low-level foundation systems and frameworks, elements, components, interaction patterns and layouts that enable designers and developers to create high-quality, production-ready user experiences across different product areas, geographies, and platforms.
- Uphold and be accountable for high standards for design and product quality control, re-usability, and definition of standards to support the Design System thru hands-on collaboration with designers, developers, researchers, and accessibility experts.
- Facilitate and absorb designer contributions to the Design System while providing subject matter expertise, creative direction, coaching, and training on usage and best practices.
- Evangelize Figma and its proper use in creating design system, such as managing shared assets, branching and other techniques.
- Write and publish documentation, usage guidelines, and visual assets that teach designers, developers, writers, and other stakeholders how to use the Citizens Design System.
- Motivate, inspire, and influence others to use the Design System and best UX practices via show-n-tells, intake meetings, within design crits and review sessions, pairing sessions or other meetings.
- Participates in identifying and defining strategic initiatives as well as supporting those efforts.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to conceptualize ideas and implement compelling customer-focused solutions across all digital touch points.
- Work through fast-paced iterations and feedback as requirements progress and prototypes increase in fidelity.
- 5 – 7 years of experience designing user interfaces and user experiences for consumer or enterprise software technology products.
- 2+ years of experience working on design systems required.
- Bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent professional experience.
- Online portfolio that demonstrates focus on design systems, design process, interaction design, visual design, creation of guidelines and finished documentation.
- Proven UX/UI experience with at least on case-study, that demonstrates extensive experience designing digital experiences for native (iOS, Android, etc.) and/or responsive web-based applications with a focus on modular, systems-based design thru a design system UI Kit.
- Demonstrated ability to break down experiences into re-usable modular styles, elements, components, patterns, and behaviors, including creation of specs, documentation, and guidelines with a high-level of attention to detail.
- Extremely high attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience developing and communicating UI design specifications.
- Proven effectiveness working in global, cross-functional teams.
- Expertise in Figma, Zeplin and familiar with other tools such as Sketch, XD, InVision, Adobe PS and illustrator.
- Familiarity with collaboration tools processes (MS teams, Jira).
- Expertise in responsive design and techniques.
- Strong communication, facilitation, and organizational understanding
- Successful track record of creating and managing impactful design systems and processes.
- Knowledge of the field of human-computer interaction, experimental design, observational and field methods, and data analysis.
- Experience creating products and applications with multiple user touch points on different platforms and devices.
- High computer literacy and knowledge of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, Power Point).
- Experience with managing multiple cross-functional team members with varying UX experience levels.
- The ability to present complex concepts clearly across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- Experience working in direct collaboration with product managers, front and back-end engineers, sales, marketing, and business stakeholders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present your designs and sell your solutions to various stakeholders.
- Strong and broad understanding of web/native UI standards, usability, accessibility standards (ADA, WCAG).
- Strong prioritization skills and ability to quickly re-prioritize in a dynamic environment, manage multiple projects at the same level of detail.
- The benefits for this position include group health insurances including medical, dental, vision, and ancillary plans. As well as 401k match, life insurance, long term disability, and paid time off. This position is eligible for an annual corporate bonus based on company and individual performance.