Patent Law Internship
United States, Illinois, Chicago
SRAM is seeking an innovative and passionate individual to join us for a unique summer internship experience. SRAM is offering a challenging internship opportunity for a law student with SRAM’s internal Patent Group of the Legal Team. SRAM’s internship program would provide an aspiring patent attorney with a thorough exposure to the profession. The candidate would work under SRAM Patent Counsel’s mentorship and assist with a variety of projects related to patent prosecution
- The primary purpose of the position would be to provide practical work experience to a law student with a strong interest in pursuing Patent Law as a career.
- Provide talented students with challenging, real-world patent experience at an entrepreneurial, quickly growing company.
- Provide students with practical work experience preparing them with skills and entry into the workplace after graduation such as a basic understanding of patent law fundamentals.
- This is a unique opportunity to receive project-based work that requires teamwork, ingenuity, creativity, and guidance from a full-time Patent attorney professional at SRAM
- Prior Art Searches (techniques and resources)
- Draft and prepare portions of patent applications
- Collaborate with inventors
- Prepare formal documents for filing
- Analyze and prepare responses to Patent Office communications
- Docket and keep files
- Litigation support
- Prospective candidates must have completed their first year in law school with strong writing and academic performance.
- Candidates must possess the basic skills and technical qualifications (e.g., a Bachelor of Science in Engineering or Science) required to become a Patent Attorney.
- Technical work experience is highly valued, especially industry experience in designing, developing, and testing.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with people of all levels and ability to function in a team environment.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills. Must be able to think outside of the box, determine solutions, make sound judgments and carry out actions in an effective manner.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple projects and prioritize work without missing critical deadlines.