Industrial Design Manager
SRAM Industrial Design is seeking a creative design manager to lead our global Industrial Design team from our headquarters in Chicago. We have a rich history of designing race-winning products that inspire cyclists. As SRAM’s Industrial Design Manager you will be the creative leader for the Industrial Design team as well as an integral team member in product development.
In this position, you will use your passion for design and talent to manage to bring out the best from a global team of talented Industrial Designers who thrive on pushing the envelope of bicycle component design. Under your leadership, the design team will achieve the highest standards in quality, functionality, and aesthetics to redefine what great bicycle components ought to be. You combine your clear creative vision with practical business acumen to help guide your decisions ranging from selecting design concepts to allocating design resources. Internally, the ID Manager works creatively with the product graphics and finish engineering teams to achieve the final cohesive vision of our products. Externally, the ID Manager collaborates with multidisciplinary teams ranging from Product Management to Marketing and from Engineering to Manufacturing. The ID Manager reports directly to the Director of Industrial Design, and is responsible for managing three teams located in the US, EU, and Asia.
- Manage, nurture, and grow a talented pool of Industrial Designers.
- Translate SRAM’s aesthetic philosophy into product.
- Participate in consumer research, data analysis, and synthesis of insights to help spark the development of compelling products.
- Lead and inspire the team by continually pushing innovation boundaries.
- Challenge traditional norms where appropriate.
- Plan, lead, and conduct ideation, brainstorming, and design review sessions.
- Comprehend and communicate current market trends to the team
- Encourage the research of new manufacturing technologies and/or techniques.
- Oversee ergonomic and user research activities.
- Exercise an aptitude for ensuring the industrial design team is up to speed with the latest design tools, technology, and software.
- Support concept exploration and prototype fabrication.
- Effectively focus design resources.
- Describe and negotiate design intent with Engineering and overseas Manufacturing.
- Establish collaboration across a global team
- Strong visual communication - electronic presentations, sketching, modeling, rendering, storyboarding, and rapid visualization skills.
- Mastery of best-in-class design methodologies.
- Experience translating consumer insights and trends into compelling product experiences.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- 4 year accredited degree in Industrial Design.
- 10+ years’ relevant Industrial Design experience.
- 3+ years’ managing creative design teams.
- A strong portfolio that clearly demonstrates a command of creating, developing, and leading the execution of successful consumer product design.
- Portfolios may be in either PDF format (5MB max) or in the form of hyperlink access to an online portfolio.
- Able and willing to travel internationally to other SRAM design and manufacturing locations.
SRAM LLC is one of the world's largest suppliers of components to the bike industry. Established in Chicago in 1987, SRAM continues to promote cycling through its products, its advocacy, and its employees who are dedicated to improving the cycling experience.
Today, SRAM employs more than 3,000 people in 16 offices across 9 countries. SRAM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.